What is a Drop Handle in Interior Design?
A drop handle is a type of hardware used to open and close doors, drawers, cabinet doors, etc. It was popularized in the late 17th century and is still being used today. The design consists of a pear-shaped handle with a loop at the end that can be grasped to pull open or push shut the door or drawer. It is available in a variety of shapes, sizes, and finishes to match any style of interior décor.
What is a Drop Handle used for?
Drop handles are often used in traditional or classical styles of home décor and can give the furniture an antique look when paired with other period-style hardware. They also come in modern designs that offer a clean and minimalistic look for contemporary spaces. Drop handles are a great way to add an extra touch of style and sophistication to any room. Whether you’re looking for a classic look or something more modern, drop handles can be the perfect choice for your interior design project.
What is a Drop Handle made from?
Drop handles are typically made from metal such as:
- stainless steel,
- or bronze.
There are also options available in plastic and wood for lighter-duty applications. Depending on the material chosen, drop handles can have a rustic or vintage look or feel, or they can be sleek and modern.
Advantages of a Drop Handle
- Drop handles are simple to use and can be installed in minutes with basic tools.
- They are long-lasting, durable, and able to withstand heavy use without showing signs of wear and tear.
- Drop handles also come in a variety of styles, so you can choose one that matches the existing décor of your home or create a unique look by combining different finishes and shapes. Additionally, they are often more affordable than other types of door hardware.
Overall, drop handles are both stylish and functional and can be a great addition to any interior design project. For this reason, they remain popular even centuries after their introduction!
Disadvantages of a Drop Handle
- Drop handles are not suitable for every application and may be too bulky or cumbersome to use on smaller pieces of furniture.
- Additionally, they require more frequent cleaning than other types of hardware because dirt and dust can accumulate in the looped handle.
- Finally, drop handles can sometimes be difficult to find in certain styles or finishes, so it is important to do some research before selecting one.